The total merchandise purchases per week per travel plaza and truckstop excluding cigaretteswere up 10% for the first quarter of 2013 compared to the first quarter of 2012 according to the 1st Quarter 2013 McLane-NATSO Foundation Index. Total travel plaza and truckstop convenience purchases from McLane averaged $16,332 per week during the first quarter of 2013 versus $15,578 during the first quarter of 2012. Members may sign in here to read the full index.
The McLane-NATSO Foundation Index is produced quarterly and offers NATSO members the opportunity to compare their weekly convenience store purchases with travel plazas and truckstops convenience stores served by McLane.
The McLane-NATSO Foundation Index is one of the many knowledge resources NATSO produces in our quest to deliver solutions to help NATSO members make good business decisions.
Among other interesting findings, when comparing January – March, 2013 to January – March, 2012 average purchases per week per travel plaza and truckstop, the McLane-NATSO Foundation Index found:
- Other tobacco (up 25%) showed strong gains versus the first quarter of 2012. The emergence of e-cigarettes appears to be driving success in this category. NATSO recently launched a blog series on e-cigarettes. The first post in the series discusses the recent growth in this category.
- Packaged beverages (up 18%) indicate the focus on new age beverages including alternative soda, energy drinks and high-end juices, which include refrigerated smoothie type juices as well as 100% real juices.
- Hot dispensed beverages (coffee, lattes, etc.) were up 13%. Hot beverages represent high margin products and continue to be the focus of many retailers.
- Grocery and deli/foodservice (up 13%) also had strong growth in the first quarter.
- Automotive products (down 11%) showed the weakest trends. The automotive product decline continues from the fourth quarter of 2012 report. The lower numbers reflect the transition from packaged diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) to bulk DEF.
Members may sign in here to read the full report.
Subscribe to Updates
NATSO provides a breadth of information created to strengthen travel plazas’ ability to meet the needs of the travelling public in an age of disruption. This includes knowledge filled blog posts, articles and publications. If you would like to receive a digest of blog post and articles directly in your inbox, please provide your name, email and the frequency of the updates you want to receive the email digest.