Each year the NATSO Foundation’s Bill Moon Scholarship program distributes thousands of dollars to students to pursue their educational goals. In 2017, the foundation will award five, $5,000 scholarships to truckstop and travel plaza employees and/or their legal dependents.
The scholarship program is an amazing employee benefit, and truckstops and travel plaza operators should encourage all of their employees to submit an application by the May 15, 2017, deadline. Here are 10 ways you can promote the scholarship to your staff:
- Place an article highlighting the award in your company newsletter.
- Post a link to the NATSO Foundation website and the scholarship program on your intranet (http://www.natso.com/natsofoundation/billmoonscholarship).
- Send an email blast to employees with information about the scholarship, important deadlines and a link to the application (http://www.natso.com/natsofoundation/billmoonscholarship).
- Display photos and information about prior scholarship recipients from your location.
- Place an informative description of the program in the company handbook for new employees.
- Post a flyer in a central area.
- Remind employees about the program at company meetings.
- Place table tents on tables in break areas.
- Encourage your HR director to share information about the scholarship when meeting with employees.
- Include information about the scholarship program in employees’ paychecks.
The scholarship is named after Bill Moon, who founded the Iowa 80 Group and made substantial contributions to NATSO, actively supporting and participating in industry-related government affairs issues. He served as chairman of NATSO in 1989 and as the first chairman of the NATSO Foundation in 1990. The NATSO Foundation is the research, education and public outreach subsidiary of NATSO, Inc.
The NATSO Foundation releases the scholarship application each spring and applicants are judged by a independent review with selections based on academic merit, financial need, community activities and a short essay.
Subscribe to Updates
NATSO provides a breadth of information created to strengthen travel plazas’ ability to meet the needs of the travelling public in an age of disruption. This includes knowledge filled blog posts, articles and publications. If you would like to receive a digest of blog post and articles directly in your inbox, please provide your name, email and the frequency of the updates you want to receive the email digest.