We Card Awareness Month gets underway in September, and the event is a great time for truckstop and travel plaza operators to train or re-train employees on the Food and Drug Administration’s regulations and state law compliance.
In many states across the country, retailers are being fined for not complying with state laws requiring specific signage in their stores. For tobacco and e-cigarette or vaping product retailers, having the state-required signage is a basic requirement.
Every state conducts compliance checks using underage minors to determine if retailers properly identify and deny sales to minors. The FDA conducts federal government inspections in the same way, performing approximately 150,000 per year.
NATSO encourages all operators to continue in their efforts to successfully identify and prevent age-restricted product sales to minors.
There are a number of We Card resources available. They include:
- Downloadable logos and ads that are available at www.wecard.org.
- We Card’s 2018 materials, which will be available to order on Sept. 1 at www.wecard.org.
- We Card’s online training and its mystery shopping service—ID Check-Up—that helps operators educate store employees and also gauge their performance.
- An updated state law summary and federal law summary on FDA-regulated products and requirements of retailers are available in the Resource Center at www.wecard.org.
- We Card NOW is a smartphone mobile site with digital resources, an age calculator tool and a digital version of the We Card calendar along with training tips. It is available at www.wecardnow.com.
We Card Awareness Month is a great opportunity for operators to communicate the “We Card” message and demonstrate their role as a responsible retailer.
Subscribe to Updates
NATSO provides a breadth of information created to strengthen travel plazas’ ability to meet the needs of the travelling public in an age of disruption. This includes knowledge filled blog posts, articles and publications. If you would like to receive a digest of blog post and articles directly in your inbox, please provide your name, email and the frequency of the updates you want to receive the email digest.