For two and a half days, the industry gathers to find knowledge, solutions and connections at The NATSO Show. Just like The NATSO Show, The NATSO Show Magazine is your source for improving your travel plaza business operations. Unlike The NATSO Show it is year-round.
Twelve Travel Plaza Customer Insights from Coca-Cola
During The NATSO Show 2015, Stephanie Kowitz, senior manager of shopper insights for Coca-Cola and J.T. McMahan, sales director for Coca-Cola shared 12 key insights into shopper behavior at truckstops and travel plazas.
- 47 percent of trips to a truckstop or travel plaza are grab and go (versus 32 percent for the convenience retail industry).
- 27 percent of the trips are in the morning—6-11 a.m.
- 25 percent are in the evening—5-10 p.m.
- 52 percent are impulse trips (versus 32 percent within the c-store sector).
- 45 percent include one item in the basket (versus 47 percent for convenience retail).
- 64 percent of transactions include the purchase of a beverage (versus 59 percent for convenience retail).
- 50 percent of trips last between two to five minutes (versus 70 percent in convenience retail).
- 33 percent of trips are longer than five minutes (versus 22 percent for convenience retail).
- 53 percent of the trips are under $5 (compared with 52 percent for convenience retail).
- In 53 percent of trips, the customer is alone (versus 72 percent in convenience retail).
- 30 percent of trips are with another adult (versus 17 percent for convenience retail).
- 91 percent of truckstop shoppers said they are satisfied (versus 94 percent for convenience retail).
// NATSO Member Webinar: Recipes to Capture New Shoppers
NATSO and Coca-Cola Co. are partnering to offer the presentation again on April 2!
NATSO members only can register for this free webinar, which will be held Thursday, April 2 at 12:00 p.m. EDT, 11:00 a.m. CDT, 10:00 a.m MDT and 9:00 a.m. PDT.
Space is limited. Reserve your webinar seat here.
About the Webinar:
Title: NATSO Member Webinar: Recipes to Capture New Shoppers
Date: Thursday, April 2
Time: 12:00 p.m. EDT, 11:00 a.m. CDT, 10:00 a.m MDT and 9:00 a.m. PDT
Registration: Space is limited. Reserve your webinar seat here.
Cost: Free for NATSO members only
About the Session: The convenience retail channel, including travel plazas and truckstops, is experiencing an exciting transformation. New shoppers, new product and food offerings and new technology are driving growth and helping to offset pressures from declining gas and cigarette consumption, new competition for convenience and rising overhead costs. Stephanie Kowitz and J.T. McMahan, from The Coca-Cola Co., will share key shopper trends and insights impacting travel plazas and truckstops and strategies and tactics of how to best capture and build loyalty with shoppers. You will find that you already hold the power!
After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Subscribe to Updates
NATSO provides a breadth of information created to strengthen travel plazas’ ability to meet the needs of the travelling public in an age of disruption. This includes knowledge filled blog posts, articles and publications. If you would like to receive a digest of blog post and articles directly in your inbox, please provide your name, email and the frequency of the updates you want to receive the email digest.