I’m always emphasizing the importance of knowing your customer, and NATSO’s recent survey of 1,500 Check-Link drivers can help you do just that. We wanted to get a greater understanding of what customers were experiencing in their day-to-day lives amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
We asked Check-Link drivers to tell us what travel plazas and their employees have done that has truly made a difference and helped their experience on the road.
Cleaning and Sanitizing
The majority of respondents cited cleanliness as the one thing that made life easier for them during this challenging time. Here are what some drivers had to say:
- Cleaning, in general, has been a high priority for most, if not all, major truckstops.
- Most places really stepped up and did an excellent job of cleaning and sanitizing.
- They kept the showers clean. That makes a big difference in my attitude being on the road.
Some drivers cited the required changes in food service as a challenge. Truckstop and travel plaza operators faced local and state regulations that dictated what food they could have available and how they presented it to customers. Drivers said they appreciated the locations that had food available. One driver said he was grateful for a truckstop that had 'real cooked food' in addition to fast-food offerings. Others said:
- The small truckstops still allowed coffee and soft drinks, but they got them for you.
- What I’ve missed is being able to have a sit-down meal in a cafe! I enjoy having a waitress serve me!
Many drivers cited the service they received. One said truckstop employees “had a great attitude.” Another said they had “just been there for us.” While one more said, “they have been human beings.” One said operators and their staff “tried to help as much as they were allowed.”
Other feedback from drivers included:
- They supplied the truckstops with masks and hand sanitizer at a very reasonable price so we can all afford to have them and stay safe.
- They stayed open to serve us and keep things sanitized and clean and supplied packaged food, which was very helpful.
I want to thank all NATSO members for the work they're doing to support our nation's professional drivers. The work you do is vital to ensure the delivery of critical supplies to our communities, and we value what you are doing.
Subscribe to Updates
NATSO provides a breadth of information created to strengthen travel plazas’ ability to meet the needs of the travelling public in an age of disruption. This includes knowledge filled blog posts, articles and publications. If you would like to receive a digest of blog post and articles directly in your inbox, please provide your name, email and the frequency of the updates you want to receive the email digest.