Welcome to the newest post in our blog series, Darren’s Great Ideas! for Independent Operators.
Seven Tips for Selling at Your Truckstop's Transaction Counter
Your transaction counter is one of the most important touch points that you have in your operation.
It is frequently the first and last thing your customers see upon entering and leaving your operation. It is valuable and every single truckstop and travel plaza should treat it as premium space.
Here are seven thoughts to consider when choosing what to put in that space:
- What you are trying to convey to customers when choosing items for the transaction counter?
- Think about the product mix on and around the transaction counter. Is it the right mix?
- Most transaction counters have candy placed on them. Consider focusing on large bars
vs. small bars on the counter so that the customer cannot make a trade down. (See Drive Truckstop Retail Sales Through Larger Product Sizes for more on this.)
- High-margin items with solid gross margin return-on-investment should be a
driving force in deciding what products are placed on and around the transaction counter. How does yours compare?
- Be wary of too much product. It sends the wrong message to your customers. Trying to
use every available open space can create clutter and customer confusion. Are there items you can clear from your space that would make it more effective?
- Are there products placed on/around the counter that hold an interest to the fourwheel
customer but are out of sight lines? An example is a universal USB 12 volt plug-in
- Members often ask me ‘What is the maximum number of programs/products a transaction counter should have?’ I’d recommend no more than six programs. Here is a sample product mix I’d recommend: lighter program, universal USB 2 SKU on two-tiered display, 5-Hour Energy Drink, 4 SKU on two-tiered display, fresh fruit in basket (preferably oranges, green apples or bananas), e-cig and vapor, and large candy bar or multi-pack gum for suggestive selling. (See Suggestive Selling Boosts Profits While Benefiting Customers for more on suggesting selling.)
Photo Credit: Jules Clifford/NATSO
/// Read more Darren's Great Ideas for Independent Operators posts here.
Subscribe to Updates
NATSO provides a breadth of information created to strengthen travel plazas’ ability to meet the needs of the travelling public in an age of disruption. This includes knowledge filled blog posts, articles and publications. If you would like to receive a digest of blog post and articles directly in your inbox, please provide your name, email and the frequency of the updates you want to receive the email digest.