U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said he would not set a firm date for finishing a field study on the newly revised 34-hour restart provision in the hours-of-service rule.
Responding to a group of 51 Congressman who urged Sec. Foxx in late August to set a timeline for the study, Sec. Foxx said that the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) wrapped up the data portion of the field study at the end of July and is in the last stages of analysis.
Foxx noted that FMCSA is working as expeditiously as possible.
“This rule, issued on December 27, 2011, is the product of years of fatigue research, safety studies and analysis of public comments,” Foxx said. “It is also the result of input from a wide range of stakeholders, including trucking companies, drivers, law enforcement, unions and safety advocates.”
The study on the provision, which requires drivers to take off two periods between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. during their 34-hour restart, was due before the new HOS rule became final on July 1 but has not yet been released. It was mandated in last year’s highway bill.
Subscribe to Updates
NATSO provides a breadth of information created to strengthen travel plazas’ ability to meet the needs of the travelling public in an age of disruption. This includes knowledge filled blog posts, articles and publications. If you would like to receive a digest of blog post and articles directly in your inbox, please provide your name, email and the frequency of the updates you want to receive the email digest.