Welcome to the newest post in our blog series, Darren’s Great Ideas! for Independent Operators.
How to See Your Truckstop with Fresh Eyes
We all know that curb appeal is important, and now new surveys show that two thirds of customers will not come into your operation if the curb appeal is not positive and inviting.
But often times, we need to look at our locations with fresh eyes and see our operation in the same way a customer does.
The next time you pull into your truckstop or travel plaza, pretend you’re a customer stopping for the first time. Take a good look at your location and look at things such as:
- Are the entrances welcoming? Does the over-the-road diesel entrance appeal to drivers? Does the driver see what appears to be empty displays or a mish mash of products with no focal points? Does the four-wheel gasoline entrance look inviting? Does the entrance to the restaurant make it clear where to go and what to do?
- Are pump toppers and/or signs on your mechanical petroleum dispensers (MPD’s) utilized to drive business into your operation?
- Does the current message drive business? It is important that every touch point
drives the messaging consistently to the customer. This, consequently, positively
enforces the average ticket growth.
- How do you feel about branded fuel? How do you think the relationship with the
fuel provider is working?
- Even if your curb appeal entices someone to stop at the location, do you have a strategy to encourage them to purchase more?
- Do you think there is proper focus on getting outside pay-at-the-pump users into the location?
- What is the percentage of fueling customers that purchase outside versus
- Is a fuel discount offer driving business? Are customers utilizing a Fuel Rewards Network (FRN)?
While you’ll want to ask these questions about your operation, you can also apply them to your competitors’ locations so you can learn from the areas they are doing well. There is always more to learn, and even minor changes can bring big results.
Photo Credit: Jules Clifford/NATSO
/// Read more Darren's Great Ideas for Independent Operators posts here.
Subscribe to Updates
NATSO provides a breadth of information created to strengthen travel plazas’ ability to meet the needs of the travelling public in an age of disruption. This includes knowledge filled blog posts, articles and publications. If you would like to receive a digest of blog post and articles directly in your inbox, please provide your name, email and the frequency of the updates you want to receive the email digest.