No articles are featured in this category.
- Truckstop Business
- Leadership & Strategy
- Truckstop Merchandise Purchases Jump 3 Percent in Q1 2012
Truckstop Merchandise Purchases Jump 3 Percent in Q1 2012
June 18, 2012
Total merchandise purchases by truckstops nationwide served by McLane increased 3 percent during the 2012 first quarter, compared with a year earlier, according to the recently released 1st Quarter 2012 McLane-NATSO Foundation Index.
The McLane-NATSO Foundation Index is produced quarterly and offers NATSO members the opportunity to compare their weekly convenience store purchases with travel plazas and truckstops convenience stores served by McLane. Members may sign in here to read the full index.
Based on member feedback, the index was revised this quarter. Previous McLane-NATSO Foundation indexes compared all travel plaza and truckstop quarterly purchases served by McLane with prior year purchases, without accounting for changes in McLane's customer mix. This quarter, we excluded new and non-returning stores and included only data from the same travel plaza and truckstops.
Among other findings, the index shows:
- The average purchases per truckstop jumped to $15,600 from $15,100 per week compared with the same three-month period in 2011;
- The best opportunities to improve convenience product sales are in snacks, automotive products and packaged and cold dispensed beverages; and
- Cigarette purchases rose five percent compared with the same three-month period in 2011.
This article originally ran in NATSO News Weekly (NNW), NATSO's member only weekly electronic newsletter. NNW is packed with the latest updates on government and business issues affecting the truckstop and travel plaza industry.
If you aren't reading NNW, you are missing out. Not a member? Join today or submit a request to receive additional information. If you are a member and not receiving NNW, submit a request to be added to the email list.
- NATSO News Weekly (NNW)
- Supplier Focus:
- McLane Co. Inc.
More on Truckstop Business
- NATSO Foundation Seeks Donations to Assist Victims of Disaster
- Missourians Could Vote on Transportation Sales Tax
- Find and Execute Your Next Great Idea
- EPA Launches Online Resource To Identify E-15 Compatible USTs
- U.S. Chamber Says Higher Gas Taxes Necessary to Fund Infrastructure
- Final Week to Apply for Bill Moon Scholarship