Browse by Category
- All categories
- Truckstop Business
- Human Resources
- Marketing & Retail
- Leadership & Strategy
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Fuel and Trucking
- Diesel Exhaust Fluid
- Industry Trends & News
- Great Ideas
- Darren's Great Ideas for Independent Operators
- Truckstop Travels
- Our Legislative and Regulatory Issues
- Thought Leader
- The NATSO Show
- Truckstops Give Back
- Compliance Corner
- Truckstop Merchandising Video
Browse by Date
- What is the Target Market for Electronic Cigarettes?
- What Is The Difference Between Exhaust Gas Recirculation And Selective Catalytic Reduction?
- Non-Compliant Sales Counters Due to Height and Width Issues
- Entry Door Thresholds Too High
- How to Protect Your Truckstop Against Thousands of Dollars in Check Fraud
NATSO Best Practices in Truckstop Merchandising: Store Layout [Video]
Welcome to a brand new series on NATSO’s blog, Best Practices in Truckstop Merchandising!
Every other Thursday, I will share a video from Darren Schulte, NATSO’s vice president of membership, on one component of truckstop merchandising. Merchandising consists of how you organize the product in your store both physically and financially. With nearly three decades of experience in truckstop and travel plaza operations and merchandising, Schulte is a truckstop merchandising expert.
In today’s video, Schulte shares the importance of putting like items together in your store(s).
His best practice advice includes:
- Build each set with all like product together;
- Place product in your displays based on the item category rather than the vendor;
- If you have a common area where both gasoline and diesel customers shop, put all the additives together rather than separating them; and
- Take this same approach when merchandising other items like cellular, cleaning and entertainment products.
Tell us in the comments below: Do you put all your lubricant products together? Do you build sets using products from different vendors?
// Schulte frequently visits NATSO members to review their locations and offers impactful merchandising and operations improvements. (Learn about joining NATSO here.)
Subscribe to Updates
Please wait while we add your subscription...